Date: Tue Jul 10 22:17:38 GMT 2012
From: Satoshi Kondo
Subject: Seminar at Kavli IPMU on 2012 July 17 Murayama
Dear colleagues:

There will be a seminar as follows at Kavli IPMU
(Kavli Institute for the Physics and Mathematics of
the Universe).

Regards,

Satoshi Kondo (Kavli IPMU)
http://ipmu.jp/
========================
Speaker: Hitoshi Murayama (Kavli IPMU)

Date: 2012 July 17 (Tue) 13:15 - 14:45

Place: Lecture hall, Kavli IPMU

Title: Unified description of Nambu-Goldstnoe Bosons without Lorentz
invariance and Presymplectic Geometry

Abstract:
Spontaneous symmetry breaking means that only a subgroup H of the
original symmetry group G is manifest in its ground state, an
important concept relevant to cosmology, astrophysics, condensed
matter physics, particle and nuclear physics, and even in chemistry
and biology. In the original conception by Nambu and later developed
further by Goldstone and others, Lorentz invariance fixes the
low-energy long-distance behavior of the system uniquely by the metric
of the coset space G/H. In particular, there is one massless particle
called Nambu-Goldstone boson for each generator of g not contained in
h. However, it has been known for a long time that this result does
not necessarily hold in systems with finite temperature and/or
density, namely when the system is not Lorentz invariant, including
simple magnets around us. We formulate Nambu-Goldstone bosons without
Lorentz invariance and find that we need to specify additional data of
the coset space G/H beyond its metric, namely its presympletic
structure.
You can check the location from
http://www.ipmu.jp/access-0
The schedule of the seminar can be checked from
http://db.ipmu.jp/seminar/